From: LeVan,Ralph [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 10:32 AM
To: Peter Urban; Stuart Lewis [sdl]
Cc: dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Dspace-tech] Completed install but page cannot be displayed

There are a couple of ways to tell if tomcat is running.

ps -eaf|grep tomcat

The first part gets you a list of everything that is running on your
machine.  (Plain ps as you entered it just gets you the stuff running in
your session.)  The second part filters that long list down to things that
have tomcat in them.  If that returns nothing except the grep itself, try:

Ps-eaf|grep catalina

"catalina" is tomcats real name internally.

Those two things will tell you about processes.

The other trick is to go to the tomcat logs directory and see if you can see
tomcat starting up in its logs.  Typically, there is either a file named
catalina.out or catalina.<dateTomcatWasStarted>.log.  Inside them you will
either see a line like "Starting service Catalina" or you'll see some sort
of explanation for why tomcat didn't start.

If you don't see any logs in the <tomcat>/logs directory, you probably never
correctly issued the startup.sh script.

Ralph