The inclusion of new formats would have probably been best served as
part of the SQL upgrade in

http://dspace.svn.sf.net/svnroot/dspace/branches/dspace-1_5_x/dspace/
etc/database_schema_14-15.sql

Then it would have been part of the update process.  This XML file
format thing is a bit overly complex when what really just needs to
happen is that an SQL table is properly updated.

-Mark