On Sep 10, 2008, at 10:43 AM, Dorothea Salo wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 12:36 PM, Mark Diggory <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>> The inclusion of new formats would have probably been best served as
>> part of the SQL upgrade in
>>
>> http://dspace.svn.sf.net/svnroot/dspace/branches/dspace-1_5_x/dspace/
>> etc/database_schema_14-15.sql
>>
>> Then it would have been part of the update process.  This XML file
>> format thing is a bit overly complex when what really just needs to
>> happen is that an SQL table is properly updated.
>
> Good point. Would I be right in hazarding a guess that this was
> originally designed as a gesture toward relatively simple updating of
> this set of configuration options (without direct database-mucking)?
> And that this is therefore a special case of the general issues with
> how difficult DSpace (and its underlying tech stack) is to configure?
>
> Dorothea

Unfortunately, its usually the case that attempts to create what
would be simpler configuration capability usually ends up creating
more complexity in maintenance in the long run. What really tends to
happen is that you've just offset one open popular file format/update
strategy (that there is actually a population of people working on
and documentation for) with one that only you an a couple other folks
in a very small niche comprehend.  Thus introducing the increased
cost of having to maintain, document and improve something that was
originally (and erroneously) conceptualized to reduce costs. This
sort of development actually hurts DSpace in the long run by
increasing our maintenance burden when a better solution would have
been to teach your users a little SQL or seek out and adopt some
commonly accepted tooling/library.

This is how I will always push back when it comes to customizations/
tooling that introduce local file formats and services that obscure
and limit the underlying implementation.  It is always better for
your installation base to become better versed at existing popular
technologies rather than force them into some local and constrained
solution, even if it is  supposedly "simpler".

It is this kind of development that an open, peer reviewing community
of developers elected by meritocracy will assist in limiting the
occurrence of. This is why we need more people in the group referring
to themselves as "developers" and not "users". New fresh blood in the
commiter group and/or the walls torn down by a better SVN hosting
solution with more granular permissions control. (But alas, I drift
off subject).

-Mark

Mark R. Diggory - DSpace Developer and Systems Manager
MIT Libraries, Systems and Technology Services
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Home Page: http://purl.org/net/mdiggory/homepage