Thanks, Stuart.
I think it must be a local configuration issue because I was able to login
against your test LDAP server (thanks for that!).  I am fairly sure that my
local LDAP settings are correct, though I'll look more into this.

I noticed that "ikandros" posted a comment about failed logins if the user
doesn't have any mail on the LDAP server (
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2057378&group_id=19984&atid=319984).
I wonder if this could be the problem.  Do you have any additional
information about this report?  I am not sure how to make the modification
that he suggested.

Thanks again,

Eric