Hi Eric,

> I just patched a fresh install with your latest LDAP patch (along with patch
> 2057231).  LDAP works fine, but now password authentication fails. I noticed
> that your patch replaced:
>
> plugin.sequence.org.dspace.authenticate.AuthenticationMethod = \
>          org.dspace.authenticate.PasswordAuthentication, \
>          org.dspace.authenticate.LDAPHierarchicalAuthentication, \
>          org.dspace.authenticate.X509Authentication
>
> with:
>
> plugin.sequence.org.dspace.authenticate.AuthenticationMethod = \
>          org.dspace.authenticate.LDAPHierarchicalAuthentication

Yes - that was just an example for how to use only hierarchical LDAP authN,
but as you found you can still use the stackable system as you wish.

> I changed it back and still got the same error (see Java stacktrace below).
>
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> at
> org.dspace.authenticate.LDAPHierarchicalAuthentication.getSpecialGroups(LDAPHi
> erarchicalAuthentication.java:143)
> at
> org.dspace.authenticate.AuthenticationManager.getSpecialGroups(AuthenticationM
> anager.java:308)

Hmmm, weird. It seems to be suggesting that the context is null. Try
replacing the getSpecialGroups method in HierarchicalLDAPAuthentication.java
with:

    public int[] getSpecialGroups(Context context, HttpServletRequest
request)
    {
        // Prevents anonymous users from being added to this group, and the
second check
        // ensures they are LDAP users
        if ((context != null) &&
            (context.getCurrentUser() != null) &&
            (!context.getCurrentUser().getNetid().equals("")))
        {
            if (ldapGroup == null)
            { // Oops - the group isn't there.
                log.warn(LogManager.getHeader(context,
                        "ldap_specialgroup",
                        "Group defined in ldap.login.specialgroup does not
exist"));
                return new int[0];
            } else
            {
                return new int[] { ldapGroup.getID() };
            }
        }
        return new int[0];
    }

Thanks,

Stuart

Gwasanaethau Gwybodaeth                      Information Services
Prifysgol Aberystwyth                      Aberystwyth University

            E-bost / E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 Ffon / Tel: (01970) 622860