Hi Stuart,
It turns out that my test user didn't have an email address, and this was
causing the failed LDAP logins. The confusing thing was that DSpace got the
DN from LDAP, and then just dropped the connection.   I figured it out by
comparing dspace.log results from a successful login to your
ldap.testathon.net server to an unsuccessful login to our local LDAP
server.  I became suspicious after noticing that Alice had a full email
address listed in the log file while my test user had only a username.  Once
I added an email address, LDAP worked fine.

Thanks again for all of your help with this.

Eric