-----Original Message-----
From: Glenn Little [mailto:lit...@cs.ucsd.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 3:13 PM
To: Brian Freels-Stendel
Cc: dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Dspace-tech] modifying config dspace.cfg

Wow.. okay... complex but makes sense given the whole

dspace/java/tomcat context I guess.  The thing that seems weird to me

now is the "mvn package" command, which takes a while to run and seems

to rebuild all the apps.  Is that really necessary, just to make a

quick change in a config file?

Glenn - this is why, if I’m just making a change to the dspace.cfg file, I edit
the one under /dspace/config (my installation directory) because I then don’t
have to rebuild the app (with mvn package) - I only have to restart my web
server.  In fact, once I do the “ant fresh_install” during the initial dspace
implementation, I *never* touch {dspace-source}/dspace/config/dspace.cfg again.
 I will occasionally refer back to it if I need to look at how I initially set
a property or something.

Sue

(I'm trying to stay with the program

and not just edit the runtime file by hand).  Does it actually do

something different in the build based on the new config values, and

should I actually reinstall all the applications ("ant fresh_install")

not just the config files?   I think I need a new supply of advil...

:-)

-glenn

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Brian Freels-Stendel <bfre...@unm.edu> wrote:

> [...]

> -Doverwrite=true update_configs'.  (At the same time, ant will copy the old
> config files with a '.[date]' extension (in the [dspace]/config directory.)
> Otherwise, ant writes those new config files to the [dspace]/config directory
> with (I believe) a '.new' extension and you have to manually remove that
> extension (and rename the old config files -- the ones you want retired) to
> something else, or delete them.

> 'ant -Dconfig=[dspace]/config/dspace.cfg' =>  You'd need to have an actual
> command, such as update_configs or update_code for it to do anything.  It
> would be of use if you were editing other code (perhaps a .java file) in the
> source, but do not use the source dspace.cfg file.  In this case, you'd still
> need to use maven to get the altered code into the ...target... directory so
> that ant  can put it where it belongs.

> I hope this helps, and that I haven't misrepresented anything....

> B--

> <aanlktinnwcudpxj-ai0fu57q41y7+mrs5zna1x52k...@mail.gmail.com>, Glenn Little

> <lit...@cs.ucsd.edu> wrote:

>> Okay, I'm really confused now.  These two replies are *both* different

>> from the (itself confusing) description at:

>> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC/Configuration#Configuration-UpdateRe

>> minder

>> The above page does not mention running mvn at all.  Where does that

>> come from?  The above page also explicitly recommends not just editing

>> the runtime config file.

>> What's confusing about that page itself is that it first says,

>> essentially, to edit [dspace-source]/dspace/config/dspace.cfg, then cd

>> to the target/dspace-<version>-build.dir and run "ant update_configs.

>> But then it goes on with to suggest running either (or both?) of "ant

>> -Dconfig=[dspace]/config/dspace.cfg", and "ant init_configs".  I'm

>> having trouble really understand the conditions under which you would

>> run one or the other of those, and how those tie in with the initial

>> "ant update_configs".  Let alone how those all tie in with the two

>> suggestions given previously in this thread.

>> Can anyone help unconfuse me?

>> Thanks!

>> -glenn

>> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 8:43 AM, Thornton, Susan M. (LARC-B702)[LITES]

>> <susan.m.thorn...@nasa.gov> wrote:

>>> Here is the process I follow and never have any problems.

>>> During the initial install/implementation of your DSpace instance, you will

>> make your changes to dspace.cfg in {dspace-source}/dspace/config.  Then once

>> you do a "fresh-install", your /dspace directory is populated with all other

>> sub-directories like /bin  /config   /etc   /lib  /webapps, etc.

>>> From this point on, the place to make your changes to dspace.cfg is in your

>> dspace installation directory, NOT the source directory.  If you do not make

>> your changes in /dspace/config/dspace.cfg, your changes will not be picked

>> up.  Also remember that you have to stop and start your web server before

>>> Sue

>>> Sue Walker-Thornton

>>> Software Developer/Database Administrator

>>> NASA Langley Research Center|LITES Contract

>>> (757) 224-4074

>>> Regards,

>>> Admire Mutsikiwa

>>> University of Zimbabwe

>>> Subject: [Dspace-tech] modifying config dspace.cfg

>>> I've got an install of dspace and am now trying to modify the

>>> dspace.cfg file.  But I'm confused as to which file to edit.  I

>>> thought I was supposed to do this:

>>> + edit [dspace-source]/dspace/config/dspace.cfg

>>> + change dir to [dspace-source]/dspace/target/dspace-1.7.0-build.dir

>>> + ant update_configs

>>> The problem is that this does not do anything with my new changes.

>>> Instead it puts an old copy of my dspace.cfg file over into

>>> [dspace]/config/dspace.cfg.new.  As far as I can tell, that *old* copy

>>> comes from:

>>>  [dspace-source]/dspace/target/dspace-1.7.0-build.dir/config/dspace.cfg

>>> So what is the real intent of the copy in dspace-<version>-build.dir

>>> compared to the one higher up in the source tree?  How is one *really*

>>> supposed to update the configuration, post-install?

>>> Thanks...

>>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-dev2devfeb