Hi Bojan,

I have taken the latest code from the SVN address above and the
authentication issue is still there. I am not sure how you are able to
over come it without changing the code in the AbstractBaseProvider. I
have made the change you suggested - rather than just removing the
exception throw. (I can send you a patch file if you would like?)

On another note - I am stil trying to get details for a specific
community I am doing this by calling the URL -

http://localhost:8080/rest/communities/29.xml

as outlined below. Can you tell me if I am doing this correct - I am
still getting HTTP Status 500. If I have time I will look more deeply
into this - if you have no ideas on what is causing it?

Thanks,
Mark

On 14/03/11 16:14, Mark Melia wrote:
> Hi Bojan,
>
> Thanks a million for your reply. I am thinking maybe I do have an
> earlier version of the code - Today I tried to get details on one
> particular collection using
>
> http://localhost:8080/rest/communities/29.xml - this resulted in an error -
> HTTP Status 500 - Failure processing entity request
> (/communities/29.xml): null
>
> I will have to check the version I am running.
>
> Thanks again for your help.
> Mark
>
> On 14/03/11 15:51, Bojan Suzic wrote:
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> I have just checked it and tried to reproduce locally.
>> So I tried the following:
>>
>> http://localhost:8080/rest/search.xml?query=test - got normal results
>>
>> http://localhost:8080/rest/search.xml?query=test&user=x...@xxx.com - got
>> exception 403, we have user but password is not provided
>>
>> http://localhost:8080/rest/search.xml?query=test&user=x...@xxx.com&pass=correct_password
>> - got normal results again as the correct password is provided with
>> the user in the query
>>
>> So, the code you are referring to is executed only if user or pass are
>> provided in the query. If they are not provided, it uses anonymous
>> user and further should not execute this code.
>>
>> Maybe you are using some older version from svn? The actual version is
>> available at
>> http://scm.dspace.org/svn/repo/modules/rest/branches/dspace-rest-gsoc10/.
>>
>> Also if this problem still persists, could you then try to change this
>> code to look like this:
>>
>> if (!(user.equals("")) {
>>    try {
>>    } catch () ...
>>
>> }
>>
>> It could be that underlying code treats blank user differently.
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Bojan
>>

>>> The action I am calling is the search rest call I am making is search -
>>> http://localhost:8080/dspace/search.xml?query=testitem
>>> When this is called it looks like the method refreshParams is called in
>>> the AbstractBaseProvider class. This method checks if the user is logged
>>> in and throws an EntityException if the user is not logged in, which is
>>> the case for my search.
>>>
>>> try {
>>> EPerson eUser = EPerson.findByEmail(context, user);
>>> if ((eUser.canLogIn())&&   (eUser.checkPassword(pass))) {
>>> context.setCurrentUser(eUser);