OK, After looking at the code some more today, I kind of see how this works.
The dri2xhtml.xsl file imports:

Structural.xsl
DIM-Handler.xsl
General-Handler.xsl

And if you look at these xsl carefully you can see that they call the
appropriate template based on the DRI and mets XML.

I'm still stuck though, because what I would ideally like is for my new aspect
to create some sort of flag that would tell the theme to go to a particular
template, but I can't figure out how to do this.

In DIM-Handler.xsl  there is some code that looks like this:

    <xsl:template
match="mets:METS[mets:dmdSec/mets:mdWrap[@OTHERMDTYPE='DIM']]"
mode="summaryList">
        <xsl:choose>
            <xsl:when test="@LABEL='DSpace Item'">
                <xsl:call-template name="itemSummaryList-DIM"/>
            </xsl:when>
            <xsl:when test="@LABEL='DSpace Collection'">
                <xsl:call-template name="collectionSummaryList-DIM"/>
            </xsl:when>
            <xsl:when test="@LABEL='DSpace Community'">
                <xsl:call-template name="communitySummaryList-DIM"/>
            </xsl:when>
            <xsl:otherwise>
                <i18n:text>xmlui.dri2xhtml.METS-1.0.non-conformant</i18n:text>
            </xsl:otherwise>
        </xsl:choose>
    </xsl:template>

And I would like to add a new new case that would look like this:

            <xsl:when test="@LABEL='DSpace Item 2'">
                <xsl:call-template name="itemSummaryList-DIM-2"/>
            </xsl:when>

But how do I get LABEL set to 'Dspace Item 2' from the aspect code?

How do I create a new type of item?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Jose