Hi Mark,

I don't have the experience, just theoretizing here:

DSpace shouldn't be any different from any other web server in respect
to serving large files. Storage depends on the filesystem you use,
HTTP technically doesn't care about size and Tomcat just passes on the
data stream. So the issue boils down to whether it's practical to
transport large files via HTTP and what are the alternatives.

IMHO the problem is only with HTTP clients which don't have the
capability to resume download. Users who don't know how large the
files may be would be surprised, but users who expect that would use a
download manager (including curl/wget under this umbrella) anyway. So
maybe it would make sense to detect the user agent and warn users
somehow.

> However, I suppose we could have some sort of sftp script linked from some
> items with meta data for the files.

I didn't understand what you're proposing here. Do you mean that in
item metadata you could have a download link to some script? That's
definitely possible. But what would the purpose be? And do you intend
to have an anonymous SFTP server for the items in addition to HTTP?

Regards,
~~helix84