In the "old· statistics setttings, probably   Kirti   is referring to
the parameters in dstat.cfg

# The item types in the archive that you need number breakdowns on
item.type=Thesis or Dissertation
item.type=Preprint
item.type=Research Paper

That setting breakdowns the statistics in above categories. I ignore how
dc.types are matched against those report categories

Emilio