I don't think Icom has a copyright on the logo. Maybe the JARL does. But, as
long as you are not using   the logo commercially, it should not be an issue.
I am certainly not making any money with D Star.
As to lawyers vs sales people. That wouldn't make any difference, both are
representing the company. I got into that with one of my company's suppliers,
earlier this year. The Legal Dept. said I was improperly using their logo,
selling their products. I told the lawyer, that their national sales manager
had
seen my catalog and my website and thought it looked great. The lawyer promptly
shut up.

Buddy Morgan
WB4OMG