On 5/4/2010 7:55 PM, John Hays wrote:
> I totally agree that coordinators need to get their act together and
> cleanup paper repeaters and even make highest and best use decisions
> for pairs (open and occupied is higher use than closed and quiet

Coordinators are NOT allowed to make this decision, the FCC has been
clear that coordination is first-come, first-served unless the
coordination body has published by-laws that state otherwise.  And
getting there, is a vote of the membership in most areas.

Most Coordination bodies are NOT allowed to "discriminate" against a
closed system, just because it's closed.  The FCC sees the coordination
job as mitigating interference, NOT choosing who gets to have a repeater
and who doesn't.

There's a fine line there that Coordinators everywhere have to walk to
keep their actions legal.  If the vast majority of coordination body
members do not agree, as well as put their VOTES behind by-law changes
that place particular priority on every POSSIBLE repeater type/use...
most Coordination bodies do not have the authority to pick-and-choose
like that.

They COORDINATE, they don't judge... when done legally and correctly.
There's a serious dividing line there.

Nate WY0X