On May 5, 2010, at 2:12 PM, J. Moen wrote:

I've read that since Japan amateurs don't have access to the 220 mHz band, Japanese radio manufacturers are less inclined to design for that band. Too bad they can't make enough money selling into other markets worldwide to justify tri-band D-Star radios.

My understanding is that its worse than that. It is that in that part of the world 220 mHz. is a restricted public safety band and that they have to document every radio manufactured for amateur use is exported.

Each manufacturer has made a radio for the band, but we don't seem in any hurry to buy them. Part of the problem, I think is readily available 220 band repeater building supplies (duplexers and such).

John D. Hays
Amateur Radio Station K7VE
PO Box 1223
Edmonds, WA 98020-1223 VOIP/SIP: j...@hays.org