e_l_green KI6WBX wrote: "Which brings up the question of why 144/440 is all
that's commercially available for D-STAR use, given the crowding... "

I've read that since Japan amateurs don't have access to the 220 mHz band,
Japanese radio manufacturers are less inclined to design for that band.  Too
bad they can't make enough money selling into other markets worldwide to
justify tri-band D-Star radios.

Every year at Dayton I give the Kenwood USA National Sales Manager for Amateur
Products a hard time about no D-Star.  At first, the reasons were logical to me
-- they weren't sure D-Star would make it and figured they'd let ICOM do the
heavy lifting (investing) to get it going.  Another interesting reason in the
US, if true, had to do with government procurement policies (say for emergency
centers) requiring purchased product types to have at least two vendors to
encourage competition.  I can't believe that still is an issue, since I've read
in some places US Homeland Security funding has been used to build D_Star
repeater networks. But the point was that Kenwood has been making money selling
into EmComm centers and fears a Kenwood D-Star offering would canabalize those
sales while the D-Star competition might spark a price war with ICOM.   Good
for us, not so good for them.

I have a lot of Kenwood radios, and will continue to track their new HF
offerings, but I can't imagine I'll buy another Kenwood VHF/UHF analog radio.
I'm using a Kenwood D700 as the analog radio for my D-Star Hotspot.  It had
been sitting unused in the closet and at least it's back in service.  It just
sits on its simplex frequency and passes the gmsk stream through to the Hotspot
board and PC.

I think Kenwood, Yaesu and Alinco are missing out on some profits as D-Star
continues to grow.

  Jim - K6JM