From: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com [mailto:dstar_digi...@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of davidscott_345
Sent: Sunday, July 11, 2010 12:24 PM
To: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DSTAR_DIGITAL] Are you exprerencing anti d-star in your area?

I have listened to a couple of conversations on analog 2 meter repeaters
here in Columbus, Ohio. The gist of the conversations seem to be we don't
want d-star because they will lose their analog systems.

After hearing this I checked the the 2007-2008 repeater directory. Taking
into account machines I knew were no longer on the air I counted 16 2 meter
machines and 22 440 Mhz machines in operation.

There are two d-star systems in Columbus one went up on a new frequency
pairs on 2m and 440. The other went up on existing 2m and 440 repeater
pairs. I see that as a net loss to the analog folks as 1 2m and 1 440 pair.

When I scan the local analog repeaters only a couple are used a lot. There
are many that don't have any traffic on them for hours at a time. So what do
they feel they are losing?

I understand if it is not their cup of tea. I don't feel any hostility to CW
ops or packet because I don't use those modes so why should they feel
threatened by dstar.

David Scott N8XYF