I happen to own two D-700s..  Here we go!

Tim, AF1G

From: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com [mailto:dstar_digi...@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of J. Moen
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2010 9:47 PM
To: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [DSTAR_DIGITAL] Easy way to set up a D-Star Hotspot

I put up a D-Star Hotspot with a Kenwood D700 that had been sitting in the
closet. and an older laptop.  My out of pocket expenses were about US $130
if I recall.  I wired up a cable and using a second radio, I experiemented
with  full duplex or repeater mode.  It worked.  To make it into a real
repeater, I would only have to do the things anyone creating a real analog
FM repeater would need to do in terms of location, antenna, duplexer, etc.

I documented the steps in setting up the Hotspot at
http://www.k6jm.com/hs-setup.htm

It's pretty easy.  Any analog radio that gives access to the discriminator,
which includes radios with a Data port supporting 9600 baud, will likely
work.

   Jim - K6JM