I agree with all your points.

Your point about the need for money to help spur change was certainly true of
D-Star in the beginning, but we are just on the verge of being able to bring up
very inexpensive D-Star repeaters using non-ICOM solutions.  A ham near me is
setting up a Node Adapter repeater using KB9KHM's DVAR Hot Spot software in
full duplex mode.  He got some inexpensive radios out of commercial service,
built an inexpensive computer, bought an inexpensive duplexer and a decent
antenna, and he's on his way.  Another ham spent less than US $200 since he had
or was given a lot of equipment, but he calculated by being clever he could
have done the whole project from scratch for US $500.  Right now, these
"repeaters" are DPlus only -- they don't support G2 callsign routing, but in
the US, they provide over 90% of the functions hams want for very little effort
and money.

We all are awaiting the release of Dave Lake G4ULF's software that runs on
Linux and has been accepted by the US Trust team to be connected in as a full
blown G2 compatible repeater.

The Open Trust efforts already have solutions that are entirely PC based.

What we are expecting now is a new wave of inexpensive repeaters to be put up
that will then encourage more people to buy D-Star radios.  This second wave of
expansion will be less dependent on money and more on publicity and word of
mouth.

  Jim - K6JM