> >    It would be really useful if you could elaborate on how pfiles
> >    screwed up your daemons.  Though pfiles will stop a process to get
> >    its information, it does so for a very short period of time and in a
> >    fashion that should be undetectable to the target process.  Unless a
> >    process has real-time scheduling constraints, it  shouldn't be
> >    possible for it to tell that pfiles has stopped it.
> >
> >    If you are seeing some problem where processes are malfunctioning
> >    because of pfiles, it is bug in pfiles that needs to be fixed.

I've seen that pfiles could take +10 seconds to execute. If the process was
stopped for that whole period I do not know however as said the daemon will get
screwed up. We are of course talking about daemons that communicate heavily
with the world around it. "Screwed up" means that it would no longer be
communicating with resource X, presumably because resource X would think that
it has gone away, i.e. the resources that the daemon communicate with have
simply not been programmed to expect that long outages in the communication (my
guess). All I can say is that the daemon would need to be restarted after this.

I admit that I've also done many pfiles against heavy communicating daemons
where this has not been an issue. But to me it feels like "do you feel lucky
today?" when executing pfiles.

The man page for the p-tools (e.g. man pfiles) actually contain a warning about
pfiles, pldd and pstack so others must have had my experience I reckon.

Lars