I need some assistance and guidance in writing a DTRACE script or even better,
finding an example one which would help me identify what's going on our system.
Intermittently, and we think it might be happening after about 60 days, on a
E2900, 192GB, 24 core, Solaris 10 11.06 system with a fairly new patch cluster
(Generic_142900-13) we are running into a problem whereby we suddenly hit a
problem which results in processes failing to start and getting the error
message 'resource temporarily unavailable' error. This is leading to Oracle
crash/startup issues.

I ran a simple du command at the time it was happening at got the following
response.

‘du: No more processes: Resource temporarily unavailable’

Approximately 6500 TCP connections on server at time. 6000 unix processes. The
max UNIX processes per user is set to 29995. 60GB free physical memory and no
swap being used. Absolutely baffling us at mo.

Not managed to truss a failing command when it happened yet because it's so
intermitttent in it's nature.

We've checked all the usual suspects including max processes per users and
cannot find the cause. Need a way to monitor all the internal kernel resources
to see what we're hitting. Suggestions please on a postcard. All welcome.

Robin Cotgrove