Sorry guys. Swap is not the issue. We've had this confirmed by Oracle and I can
clearly see there is 96GB of swap awailable on the system and ~50GB of main
memory.

Not everything relating to forking problems is swap. We have had a similar
forking issue in the past and solved it with swap file addition and in one
case, it was shared memory was being restricted a Solaris project setting. File
descriptor limits being hit is another good one. Max processes per user is
another common one.  All lot's of common reasons. This one is weird and we
don't know what it is.

Like the dtrace scripts though. Very useful to make things a lot clearer for
people to interpret values.