Bob,

I've had the serial port go bad several times on my 2400, and also
intermittent.  Most of the time, it was a hardware problem and was repaired
by swappingng out the I/O board, by AppleCare or DT&T.  Of course, it is
difficult to know whether a serial port problem is hardware or software.  To
give yourself another data point, I recommend the serial port test in
TechTool Pro (I have version 2.)  The directions are not very clear, so
remember to connect either a working modem with lopback capability or a
home-made loopback connector to the modem port in order for the test to
pass.  You also need the Serial Tool extension.  I recommend making an
extension set that has only the Serial tool and testing it with this.

Jerry Krinock
San Jose, CA