To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <dx-chat@njdxa.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2007 7:35 PM
Subject: Re: [DX-CHAT] 7O

Vlad posted this last year after he went there seeking a license: There is definitely a Ministry of Telecommunications there:

MORE ON AMATEUR RADIO IN YEMEN ---> The following was received from Vladimir
Bykov, UA4WHX on 23 July 2006:
Hello everybody again!
I just left the office of the Ministry of Telecommunications.
Mr Abdulgader Ibrahim, Director General of Frequency Management Depertment
of the Ministry of Communications asked me to pass this on to fellow
amateurs:
1. He needs as much visual material as possible as he has an arrangement
with the security section of Yemen Ministry of Interior to give a
presentation related to amateur radio trying to prove that:
A. it is good for the country
B. it poses no threat to security.
Handbooks, magazines, tapes, CD's, samples of picture QSL cards,
amateur radio posters will be greatly appreacied, being new or used, no
difference. Send them to him at as soon as possible to:
Mr Abdulgader Ibrahim
Director General of Frequency Management Department
of the Ministry pf Communications and Information Technology
Airport Road
Al Jiraf
P.O. Box 25237
Sana'a
Yemen
TEL: 00967-1-331455
FAX: 00967-1-331457
2. He can reconfirm via fax or e-mail that there has never been a single
amatuer radio operation from Yemen, if he receives an official inquiry
from ARRL or any other AM. Radio Club. One - only! - authorization has
been given to a sulatan of Kuwait but he never operated. All others
according to his and a few other officails words are pirates and
illegal. No matter what documents they present and what they say.
These are some of the other names I also know a few e-mails and some cell
phones but I am not authorized to give them. All of them speak very good
English! and are open minded.
1. Eng. Addullah A. Al-Hamami
Assistant Deputy Minister
Ministry of Communications and Information Technology
P.O. Box 1324
Sana'a
Yemen
TEL: 00967-1-331375
FAX: 00967-1-331804
2. Mahmoud Yassin
Deputy Minister
Ministry of Communications and Information Technology
P.O. Box 1324
Sana'a
Yemen
TEL: 00967-1-331375
FAX: 00967-1-331804
3. Abdul Hafied
Manager Frequency Management Section
Ministry of Communications and Information Technology
P.O. Box 1324
Sana'a
Yemen
TEL: 00967-1-339272
For the Ministry of Interior there are no names I can give although they
do exist it should be enough to put just the mane of the Ministry and to
the attention of the Minister, Sana'a, Yemen.
They also told me a story how they caught a crew of Germans a few years
ago who operated from Aden from a hotel on amateur radio bands but the
Ministry people were nice to them and gave their rigs back to them and
just told them to shut down they could have easily ended up in prison.
In fact, they do understand a lot about ham radio here at the Ministry,
they think they need it. As well as the community and the people of the
country.
They wanted to establish a club at the Ministry to teach locals and let
vistors operate but the Ministry of Interior has never been too happy with
that.
They (telecom people) are saying, things might as well change soon.
73, VB
UA4WHX
Sana'a, Yemen