Ah, I can only be a REAL CW op if I use a straight key, right? I see now.

  And because I hit nails in with my fist rather than using a hammer or, God
forbid, a nailgun it makes me a REAL carpenter, right?  Er....

  Actually that'd be a great party trick, don't you think?  A bit like John
Belushi crushing a beer can on his head in "National Lampoon's Animal House" -
another trick that I've always wished I could do :-)

  Dave

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
    Glad this subject came up! Still more or less being considered young in
this hobby at age 33 going on 23 I hold the highest regaurd for preserving the
foundation of Amatuer Radio. Such as for CW for instance I think it's the most
important mode just for our sole purpose which we can make great use of besides
in emergency communications.

Like many of us real CW operators if there were an emergency and we knew at the
other end of the Red Cross line there were another Ham op. I would hope that if
CW were my last hope at getting a message across i'd have a chance right?
WRONG! I can't wait for them to load up HRD or some other type of program when
I may have a few seconds or minute to get the code across.

"I'm a CW operator" my response "oh yeah! What type of keyer do you use?"
theirs "Keyer! I use a keyboard" What!!!!!!

Folks! Just because you use a keyboard for CW does not make you CW operators
unless you can receive and send CW with some sort of keyer. Any fool can send
with a keyboard, but when put to test can you step up?

My belief and point about the code and no code exams were always about the
points I mentioned above. Plus! The fact that it was the most effcient mode and
comes in handy every time. Those students people always made it about nostalgia
or personal. So now that you have a keyboard and interface CW all of a sudden
is the mode used mostly for many? Gee! I wonder why.

73!