ITU Radio regulation Article 19 requires that a legal call sign in the
amateur service be formed with a numeral after the national identifier so
there has to be one somewhere in the formulation.

However, my problem with Jim's original post was his statement that  somehow
this "non-problem" was caused by "ARRL rules", although he did not state
exactly what rule he was talking about.

Larry
W4RA

  _____