> That is simply not correct. While there is a lot of media hype on this
> subject, Internet CC fraud is not a large proportion of the overall CC fraud
> and the numbers are pretty much in line with that of the offline fraud
> (which include stolen cards, stolen numbers, ATM scams, mail order &
> telephone transactions...).

I tried to come up with some statistics on online CC fraud...here are
my quick results:

URL
Date
Source
Which Merchants
Statistics, comments

http://www.vnunet.com/News/1113978
2000?
MindWave Research / CyberSource
100 random
4% of online transactions fraudulent

http://www.sfama.org/past_articles.htm
????
First Data Corp.
????
1.25% of internet transactions charged back
.33% catalog transactions charged back
.14% storefront transactions charged back

http://www.microtimes.com/newsfeeds/November2000/nov0300.html#a8
2000?
MindWave Research / CyberSource
132 companies
5% of online transactions fraudulent
online fraud is 50% of all card fraud

http://www.it-analysis.com/99-11-22-2.html
fall 1999?
Visa International
????
online transactions account for 50% of total fraud
2% of total transactions performed online

http://www.home-office.com.au/Research/050.htm
feb 2000
mastercard
????
50% of total chargebacks sourced from the internet
chargebacks far less than 1% of all transactions

http://www.finfacts.com/intcard.htm
????
????
????
Online credit card use accounts for only about 2% of Visa International 's
total
credit card transactions, more than 50% of its discovered frauds/disputes
relate to
online use.