JP,

> However, IMHO, you're wrong that the fact that it is a derivative is
> the clincher.
>
> >Both are transferable *derivatives* of gold.  That is, they are
> >contractual obligations whose value derives from that of gold.  The
> >principal contractual commitment is the obligation to redeem e-gold
> >in gold on demand (under certain circumstances).
>
> Well said, but to some extent this is just restating the problem, no?

No.  It is simple: a contract promising redemption in gold is not the
same as gold.

> There are many "derivatives", you would probably agree, where it is
> NOT appropriate to use the words "backed", "reserve", "fractional".
> You're saying e-gold is a case where it is.

On the contrary I never said a single thing one way or the other about
the word "backed".  I think it is silly to argue about the meaning of
a word and I will not do it.  [You tell me exactly what you mean by the
word and I will tell you whether your meaning applies to e-gold.]  I was
talking about the reality; which is: e-gold is not gold and when you
own e-gold you do not own gold but a derivative based on gold.

E-gold is not a fractional reserve currency.  (Exactly what that has to
do with the word "backed" I leave to you.)  But that does not make it
gold.

> As both Bob and I have pointed
> out, it becomes clearer if you think of it as a simple manual system
> where you fone up Jim for a spend, and again its even clearer if you
> consider systems like Viamat storage and MDOs

Not the same thing.  In niether case (eg/GM) do you have real title.
You only have a (conditional) promise of redemption.

> but the VERY IDEA of e-gold/goldmoney is that it is
> a "storage/ownership..." entity.)

Niether are.  e-gold does not claim to be.  GoldMoney does so claim
but the facts are otherwise.

> >The principal contractual commitment is the obligation to redeem
> >e-gold in gold on demand (under certain circumstances).
>
> Are you saying that the "redeemable only under certain circumstances"
> quality is the clincher

No.  I only included the "under certain circumstances" qualifier so
that people would not introduce an irrelevancy by objecting that they
couldn't redeem a 1oz coin.  But then Bob did it anyway!

> that makes it not-storage/ownership/non-backyness?

They are storing gold.  But you do not own any of it.  What you own is
a contractual obligation promising conditional redemption.  [What that
has to do with "backing" I leave to you.]  e-gold still is not gold
but a derivative.

> If people think eg/GM have screwed up and failed to achieve that aim,
> ie the basic fundamental notion of e-gold, then sure, they have
> cocked up and it should be improved.

Just because I disagree with you about the nature of e-gold does not
mean I think that it is "cocked up" (at least for that reason).  I
never thought it was intended to be a gold storage fiduciary (I think
that is what 3PGold or even the Perth Mint do) and am not
dissapointed that it is not.

Best,

CCS

Did you know that e-gold Ltd. stores more gold on behalf of customers
than many countries? See http://www.gold.org/Gra/Gra1.htm and the
e-gold Examiner at http://www.e-gold.com/examiner.html for details.