On 4 Feb 2002, at 15:53, Danny Van den Berghe wrote:

> > I won't argue the security/passphrase issues.  They have been hashed
> > over on this list ad infinitum.  My point remains: the purpose of
> > the Turing number is not security per se but to eliminate automated
> > trials.  How well the turning number actually does this is
> > irrelevant.  This proposal does not serve to advance that purpose.
>
> My proposal eliminates automated trials very well because it makes
> them totally useless.

Yes, it makes them totally useless in exactly the same way that a
longer passphrase makes them totally useless.  Presumably, the recent
robot passphrase trial attempts did not actually profit the hacker
at the expense those of us with sufficiently long passphrases.  But
it did produce irritation and anxiety and perhaps denial of
service.  Again, the object of turing tests is to make such
automated trials impossible (that e-gold's turing number does not
fully do this is irrelevant) not just to make them unsuccessful.

What you are suggesting may be a good idea.  It just does not serve
the same purpose that the turning number was aimed at.

> That's basically the big advantage of the "2 hurdle" concept

The 2 hurdle concept and its equivalence to a longer passphrase have
been discussed at length on this list before.

Best,

CCS

-      Virtual Phonecards - Instant Pin by Email      -
-            Large Selection - Great Rates            -
-  http://speedypin.com/phonecard/start.mhtml?af=743  -