Financial markets are about distributing incomes and risks from underlying
assets such as land, property and businesses. Finaical markets also assist
in allocating the underling factor resources to their various uses.

For this reason valuations for assets and accounting for business activity
are fundamental information sources for participants to price debt, equity
and other financial interests.  Its up to the issuers and not the exchange
to provide this information in their accounts, prospecti and other
documentation provided to financial market participants when financial
securities are issued and afterwards.

There is never just information, there is always a context of a user, a use
and a prospective or actual trading partner with different interests to the
recipient. Therefore information is always produced and supplied in an
economic context and with signals of credibility, authentication and
reputation. Its only manic street preachers who communicate without
considering whether or not anyone is listening, whether they accept the
authentication and reputation of the source as credible or whether they are
likely to undertake the proposed trade of one's life for the hope of
promised eternal benefits.

Investors and their agents use rules to assess prospective investments. The
rules employed by investment intermediaries and those raising capital are
derived from the need to meet the rules of investors and their agents to get
investment resources. Its wrong to consider the rules of the intermediaries
and those raising capital as the only protections for investors -- they are
derived from the investors and their agents looking after themselves.

We have every reason to believe that these rule-sets will enable capital and
risks to be efficiently allocated and that imposed rule-sets will distort
the allocation of capital and risks. Specifically rules and clauses in
rules, like contracts and clauses in contracts, are paid for by transactors
subject to them or party to them respectively. In seeking to maximise their
gains from trade net of transaction costs, therefore, transactors seek to
ditch contracts and rules that inflate transaction costs by more than the
gains from trade, and adopt or create superior alternatives. Imposed rules
cannot be cheaply ditched, and the producers have poor incentives to impose
efficient ones.

David Hillary