> And when it comes to e-sugar, e-rice, etc, the base denominator could simple
> be a basket of commodities.

But that basket would still need a denominator or 'unit'. In essence you
could say that the sugar portion of the basket is 10% of the basket and
hence sugar costs 0.10 baskets. But then you might just as well call the
baskets Dollar and everything stays the same  ;o)

> I don't think we will go back to gold standard.
> The reason is that it gives too much power to countries that have their own
> gold mines, so those countries without gold mines will object.
> It would be as if only a few countries had printing presses to print
> money.

The current planning is actually much more sophisticated than that. The
idea is to use gold as the denominator - but - to calculate the exchange
value of goods and commodities in their gold value and then issue a gold
credit to the producing countries (interest free) for which they can order
goods abroad.
The system then is expected to include quarterly settling by a central
banking system, which makes adjustments between country accounts and pays
out surpluses in actual gold.
Hence would the value of the gold of gold producing countries be simply
one gold unit, and this would do away once and for all with fluctuations
in the gold market. Instead all other currencies would rise and fall in
terms of gold based on supply and demand of the commodity, rather than
gold.

The above is simplified and the mechanism is indeed far more complicated,
but at the same time astoshingly equitable. The only real problem is that
there won't be any inflation and no hyper-interest per say. This is
because the supply of gold - including the gold still in the ground is
finite and charging interest would result sooner or later in more gold
being in circulation than gold does exist in reality.
Instead the system proposes for equitible participation of creditors.
Meaning, rather than you borrowing money from me to buy a house, I will
buy the house and let you use it for a set amount of rent for a set period
at the end of which the house is yours. As there is no inflation, it is
between you and me at what 'monthly rental' you will pay the house off.

This might all be a huge shock for our western minds were we are used to
earn interest - but don't forget "they" are in the majority and "they"
control the commodity supply, while "their" people are often living below
the poverty line.
Who could blame "them", if "they" pulled it off?

In other words, if you want to profit from investments under the new
system, you invest in stocks, cause there ain't no bonds...

> It also removes the argument of the anti-gold economists, that using gold as
> money there will not be enough liquidity in the system.

That argument is based on artificial growth, which itself is built on
inflation. If you take inflation out of the equation and only allow for
growth in actual commodity production, which indeed is finite then that
argument bites it's own tail.

Of course, we are a lot of world-wide hardship away from such a system.

Cheers,
Robert.

budget & privacy website hosting
http://www.cyberica.net
budget & privacy domain registrations + mail
http://www.u2planet.com/cfdomaintrust.html