Rules are different from country to country though. 'Always on' for a flat
monthly fee isn't available in many Asian countries yet - but is bound to
come, of course.

> I go to the counter
> and put my phone next the phone of the merchant.

My concerns would be (1) you need two phones that communicate directly
with each other and (2) there is handset resident software involved.

(1)
If you ever tried to beam a phone number from a Samsung handset to one of
the Ericson, Nokia, Sony, etc. brand, then you know what I mean. In theory
at least three of the brands are supposed to be compatible with each
other, but more often than not they are aren't.

(2)
Software installed on a particular handset, would make the handset
identifiable, tracable and there goes the privacy aspect.
Worse, if the handset is used as identifier, e-gold becomes stealable.
The techs on the list are likely to confirm that there is no such thing as
an unhackable software. This in turn would create all sorts of headaches
for e-gold themselves, which is why they would be likely not to go for it.

Ultimately, I believe that providers outside e-gold will develop a system
on the same or similar principle as JP's 1MDC.com which is then likely to
come up with a subscriber-based solution.
But, to avoid eroding privacy during transactions there would need to be a
way to spend quasi-cash. Meaning, as soon as you know the amount, you make
a spent which is assigned a temporary batch number. This temporary number
is what the merchant uses to accept the payment. Once accepted the
temporary number is erased and your account history only shows 'mobile
spent'.

But all that would need to be possible from 'any' handset, PDA, notebook,
etc.
I fear, there is still some distance to cover before it would become
feasible for an operator to develop, market and operate such a system.

Cheers,
Robert.

budget & privacy website hosting
http://www.cyberica.net
budget & privacy domain registrations + mail
http://www.u2planet.com/cfdomaintrust.html