Robert,

"Yet you are willing to send your password through the air just after you
established a connection with the handset of the merchant, whom you don't
know, using an internet gateway from a telco whose name you never heard and
about the security protocols of which you have no clue, in a location where
someone might track and record cell signals"

When I said that phones have to connect to the Internet, I really meant
that. The password is sent by my phone only to E-gold. My phone would use
SSL to connect to the E-gold system, just like my computer does. Nobody
except my phone knows my password! The phone behaves in all ways like a
computer, there is absolutely no difference except for the small size.

"And who would foot the bill for this small start?"

Who did for the mobile protocol? The method that I am suggesting would
require a few thousand USDs for hardware and software to develop the system;
also, the programmers have to be paid. After that there is no more expense
for this system because it uses what is already out there.

"What you are suggesting will require millions of users just to get the
merchants on board"

A smart card requires even more, but still, some people are willing to do
it and spend hundreds of thousands of USDs. I have also said that the best
markets for this system are those that can't easily get credit cards, like
the asian markets (those who like gold).

"automated accounting and warehousing will cost a fortune, employ many a
software developer who need access to the e-gold protocols (much in the
same way it is now) and make anything small scale unfeasible for both e-gold
and merchants"

I proposed the system to be exactly the kind of thing that would avoid all
that. E-gold does the automation, protocols, etc. The merchant simply
accepts the egold in his account, the buyer simply pays from his account.

That's why I said there has to be a program that could be downloaded into
the phones. All merchants and buyers need to do is download the program and
wait for the moment when the two will meet. There is absolutely no need for
any investment for the merchant or the buyer, other than those they already
make.

"Not to forget that you'll also have to explain why it costs more to buy
e-gold that the gold is worth"

I already said the currency on your credit card cost you more than the
currency itself because there is a "middle man" that has to be paid. I also
said that the money you get now will worth less next month because of the
currency devaluation.

"The mobile protocol does make perfect sense for now because it is an
extension of what they already had"

The system I propose is an extensions of what they already have. If they
think a few thousand USDs are too expensive, sure, this is a no go, but when
I started this (the smart card thing) I said that it should be implemented
when E-gold will be used on a mass scale (as you said, a few millions users
world-wide).

Regards,
George Hara
www.filematrix.xnet.ro

Xnet scaneaza automat toate mesajele impotriva virusilor folosind RAV AntiVirus.

Xnet automatically scans all messages for viruses using RAV AntiVirus.

Nota: RAV AntiVirus poate sa nu detecteze toti virusii noi sau toate variantele lor.

Va rugam sa luati in considerare ca exista un risc de fiecare data cand deschideti

fisiere atasate si ca MobiFon nu este responsabila pentru nici un prejudiciu cauzat

de virusi.

Disclaimer: RAV AntiVirus may not be able to detect all new viruses and variants.

Please be aware that there is a risk involved whenever opening e-mail attachments

to your computer and that MobiFon is not responsible for any damages caused by