> At 4:37 PM -0400 7/10/03, Robert S.Z. wrote:
> >Your "eons" have less than 100 history to them!
>
> Currency exchange is a *LOT* older  than that!

I'm talking about paper. My point is that nowadays we exchange paper for
gold, whereas as recently as 30 years ago we exchanged metal backed paper
for other metal backed paper, in essence metal for metal.

I did NOT say what everybody seems to think I said, namely that they did
not charge both ways. I did say, two tangible items where exchanged.
e-gold is NOT tangible per say. My whole point is that not that it's a bad
thing to make a profit as an exchanger but that it's simply insane from a
marketing point of view to call it fee and express it in percentage.
Of course I still believe that that outexchange should be hit much more
than inexchange, but fear that the only way to do this is to set an
example.
And spare me the sour remarks about how it isn't possible, because
merchants have the edge on this one. You see, we actually earn gold.
Meaning, we get it at zero surcharge. Exchangers often have to deal with
Omnipay or each other and pay fees, we don't.

Imagine cyfrocash.com would offer all customers to buy e-gold on the spot
at market, 2 minute delivery - and yes - we could! Stocks are not large
enough yet and we still need a few more people to join the gang, but it
will happen. I don't want to ruin anyone, I just want to proof a point.

> They probably exchanged various kinds of scrip for various
> kinds of coins, of varying purity (and if you think they didn't
> make money both ways, on bid and ask, you're nuts!!!).

Exactement, mon ami! BID and ASK! Not imposed surcharge that resembles a
tax.

> Wait a second, are you assuming that the only debasement
> of currency happened in the US? (Go read: "The Decline and
> Fall of the Holy Roman Empire" and then come back and say
> that!)

No I don't. I'm a bit of a history buff and can tell you that debasement
started much earlier and was responsible for the fact that Greece never
got an actual empire and for the Phonecians to keep Rome at bay for so
long (Hannibal basically crossed the Alps to collect debts).
The difference was however that debasement was done by slowly changing the
purity of gold in coins. There had been a few attempts to introduce
placeholders (tenders) to represent gold - a type of paper currency if you
will - but they usually failed in the first generation or because of
capital flight and subsequent wars.
But it's still besides the point, because my argument was about the fact
that we are now exchanging paper for numbers on a screen, while until not
too long ago people exchanged for papers/metals for papers/metals.

> >but you guys really take the cake sometimes. Reminds me of certain Germans
> >who had built and conquered a Thousand Years Reich that crumbled 988 years
> >early. At least their paper was exchangeable for silver at no surcharge.
>
> Oh?! Source?? (I'm betting exchanges, even back then, did
> not operate as a charity!).

Germany repalced the R-Mark with Rechsmark in 1934. The Reichsmark was
exchangable for Silver in 5 Mark denominated coins until 1939. Of course,
it was illegal to abuse (melt) the coins or indeed to export them. This
together with building infrastructure (create jobs) was the reason the
frigging Nazis were so successful. They gave their country a stable
currency and hope.

> I repeat: "exchange has not changed for EONS!!!!!"
--- For Eons people exchange one item they could touch for another. They
could wear it around their neck, pack it into small leather bags and hit
each other over the head with and do lots of other useful stuff with it.
Then came paper - exchangeable for metal, then came paper. Period. Now we
are exchanging paper for numbers on a screen and instead of changing 18
drachmes for 2 and 3/4 dirhams or 10 talents, we exchange a lie (Fiat) for
a promise (e-gold).
And you say nothing changed?

Last but not least, records of the Phonecian money changer guild reported
an increased profit for three year before the Romans got their butts
kicked in Spain because traders that docked in Carthage could exchange
Roman Sesterzes 10:1 for Dirham but only 8:1 when they left and tried to
exchange their surplus back. PUNITIVE outexchange. And now you know why
I'm so fond of using that word. It comes from the puni or punic. The name
the Romans gave the Phoencians because they couldn't pronounce 'Phoe'.

Cheers,
Robert.

budget & privacy website hosting
http://www.cyberica.net
budget & privacy domain registrations + mail
http://www.u2planet.com/cfdomaintrust.html