> > PS - I noted that one person discussed the ability to hold
> a lock on
> > satellites underneath a tree canopy with a GPS unit
> (handheld?).  This
> > is not common.  In fact I was surprised that someone had
> been 'offered'
> > data by their GPS unit in such a situation.  Perhaps this
> is because
> > (I
> > believe) most handheld units do not have good data quality
> assurance
> > functions and will offer any position they 'acquire'.  User
> beware...

The newer consumer gps with the SIRF star III chipset are very sensitive,
much more so than the older gps units.  These can be found in Garmin's 60cx
and 76cx lines.  Are they sensitive enough for heavy tree cover? I don't
know but there are very promising.

http://gpsinformation.us/gps60c/g76Creview.html

Pete