-----Original Message-----
From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of William Silvert
Sent: Friday, 02 February, 2007 08:14
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: If not Ethanol, what then?

I looked at Mike's web page and I am quite ignorant about the bioenergetcs
of various terrestrial crops (I work in the marine environment where plants
are those little one-celled critters), but I wonder whether if grasses are
so suitable for biofuels, what about the discarded parts of food crops, such
as corn stalks and potato plants. I realise that there is nutritional
benefit to plowing them under, but could they be used in other ways?

Another poster mentioned hydrogen and a reduced population -- I really don't
see how we could get enough hydrogen from wind and solar power unless we
used a lot of hydrogen fusion to greatly reduce our population.

Bill Silvert