Silent Spring and A Sand County Almanac are classic
options. Last Chance to See coauthored by Douglas
Adams (humor writer) and Mark Carwardine (zoologist)
is funny, yet makes an impression. The authors travel
the world visiting endangered species. Gaviotas is
about a sustainable community in Columbia - this book
definitely leaves an impression.
I haven't read it, but the Double Helix is supposedly
an excellent read as well. John McPhee is also an
author who has written about the environment. Cadillac
Desert speaks to water issues in the West, but may be
a bit dense. Desert Solitaire is also an excellent
book on the West, but I think it's fiction and may be
a bit satirical for the reading list. It would
definitely promote discussion - the author, Edward
Abbey, is a character.
Good luck.
Christie Klimas
PhD student, University of Florida

--- "Kraemer, George" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs