-----Original Message-----
From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Kraemer, George
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 8:34 PM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] summer reading with an ecologic/environmental theme

Our campus theme next year will be "environment."  Although it's defined
broadly enough to include all constituencies, it presents the
opportunity to reach about 500 freshmen with a back-door campaign of
environmental literacy.

I am soliciting the ECOLOG group for suggestions for pre-college summer
reading with an environmental theme.  It would have to be something that
would capture the minds of 17-18 year olds, and should lend itself to
discussions that might allow diverse discipline to have a say.

Barbara Kingsolver's "Prodigal Summer" or Michael Pollan's books came
first to mind.  But there must be other things out there that I've
missed.  Since this might be of interest to others, please respond to
the list.

GPK
George P. Kraemer
Associate Professor of Environmental Studies and Biology
Chair, Environmental Studies Program Purchase College (SUNY)