Brendan,

Unfortunately, in my experience, "most" people don't seem too concerned that
95% of the species on Earth might be wiped out by global warming.  Why?
Because they believe that (A) humans will be among the 5% that survive [we are,
after all, the "intelligent" species], (B) as long as humans survive, we don't
need the 95% that don't [they must have been too weak, and so are expendable
anyway], (C) the geologic record shows that the Earth has experienced [and
survived] major warming and cooling trends before, so we will
experience/survive them again [not realizing that humans didn't survive the
major warming and cooling epochs, only cockroaches and other lowly species
did], (D) we have [or can/will develop] the technological know-how to deal
with/handle any threat [natural or manmade] that comes our way, and (E) in all
of human history, no catastrophe has ever wiped out the human race, so why
should I believe it could happen now [it's nothing more than a liberal scare
tactic to raise taxes or socialize services].

And it always comes down to money --- people think that they shouldn't have to
pay more - or make a sacrifice - if there is any chance that the "doomsayers"
are wrong (because someone else – maybe the people in India, or China, or
across the RR tracks) aren't paying more or making that same sacrifice.  And
that's why the fear-mongers always paint it as "jobs vs the environment" -- if
we do what these tree-huggers want, it's going to COST us more20in lost jobs
and a lower quality of life.  We won't be able to HAVE IT ALL.

"Most" people do not understand that "we are connected to the Earth", that "we
are all in this together", that "what we do affects other people", that "we
live in a limited, fragile Earth", and that we actually have the power/ability
to destroy our habitat/world.

Steve