Hamilton's posting is so silly that it hardly merits rebuttal, but the sentence "Habitat conversion is the sole cause of human induced mass extinctions." is so astoundingly ill-informed that it might be useful for lectures on how unaware the public is about scientific issues, perhaps accompanied by illustrations of dodos, passenger pigeons, and numerous other species hunted to extinction.

Bill Silvert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Hamilton" <rhami...@mc.edu>
To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Saturday, May 23, 2009 11:39 PM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Why should I care about mass extinciton?

Global warming is a ruse. There is no evidence contemporary global
warming will cause sea level rise, for example. Sea levels are pretty
high anyways. warm the atmosphere, more water goes into the air, more is
cycled onto land. Will sea levels rise? Will it make some great
difference, especially with respect to mass extinction? I, at least
don't see it. More storms? Even if so, so what? heat waves? Is that a
joke? It surely is silly.

Habitat conversion is the sole cause of human induced mass extinctions.
When we advocate on the issue of CO2, we are buying into a meaningless
ruse that more and more looks like nothing more than a means to generate
revenue for people who want to invest in wind and solar power
distribution.

Rob Hamilton