Hello all,

This is a very important topic. I dealt with similar negative attitudes
towards grad students during my dissertation work. I know as scientists we
like to point to empirical evidence to support a point, but I can't help you
there. I don't know of any papers on the matter. However, if you want to
quickly estimate your value to the university, just envision a simple
scenario. Imagine if every graduate student immediately stopped doing any
work whatsoever to support the university. Imagine the university's
response. Their anger (and fear) will be directly proportional to your
value. If you and your graduate students demand respect as a group then your
value will be recognized by the university, one way or another. Good luck,

Kevin