Hello everyone,
I replied directly to Alisha this morning, but I want to throw my hat into
the discussion too!

These are just my feelings, mind, but I feel like there are/should be
studies our there on the "value" (direct and indirect) that graduate
students bring to an institution...perhaps through economics or education
departments...or academic administration programs?

If we teach courses (I too am a graduate student), then the university is
paying a lower salary to a MS or PhD student than to an educator/scientist
who already has a MS or PhD.  That's a cost savings right there, and that's
just for one graduate student teaching one lab.  Here are some other
cost-benefit analyses I'm thinking of:

Research value: direct (paying a technician or post-doc instead of a grad
student)
Research value: indirect (ideas, project development, contribution to other
projects)
Sources of funding: grants, fellowships, etc from outside the institution
lowers the bottom line for the institution!
Graduate tuition and fees: fewer graduate students, I know, but more
expensive tuition

And then there are the inherent value or value-added components that are
less easy to compare but important regardless, and graduate students
definitely contribute to these areas.
Research: value of federal grant awards and accomplishment; completion of
research
Publication value to major professors, researchers, PI's
Publication value to the institution: name recognition, promotion, publicity
Value of research to the institution: promotion, name recognition, greater
good

If universities are not valuing graduate students, then I don't think
they're considering the bottom line, especially once you start considering
the direct, indirect, and inherent value aspects that graduate students
bring to an institution.  If there aren't papers on this topic, maybe we
should be writing them!

Cheers,
Lyndell