I recently moved into academia after spending 15 years working for non-profit
and state government.  I have been on many search committees for both permanent
positions and seasonal positions.  So, I may have a somewhat unique perspective
on this question.  Without a doubt, in order of importance, the four skills
considered most are:

1) Excellent writing skills (not necessarily technical writing)
2) Working knowledge and experience in GIS
3) Field experience (not just an occasional lab but rigorous outdoor
experience) even if the current position in question is not primarily field
oriented.
4) Proficiency in basic statistics (i.e., able to interpret results presented
in papers even if the precise statistical methods are unknown)

Number 3 has become increasingly more difficult to find.   For students with
only a BS, that experience is obtained through seasonal field jobs after
graduation.  In fact, I can't recall a single situation where we hired a
permanent employee at an entry level position that came directly from an
undergraduate degree program without some type of professional field experience
outside of academia. Even graduate students often must obtain field experience
via seasonal jobs before landing a permanent position.  I think that shows our
universities are generally doing a poor job preparing students for careers in
ecology outside of academia. Also, it's far more likely to find a student that
can explain ecological processes on African savannas than a student that can
describe local ecosystems and natural communities.

Two more comments: Ecological modeling is of very little or no interest yet
many recent graduates I have interviewed emphasize that experience.  Finally,
the degree or concentration area is the least important (e. g., wildlife
biology vs. ecology vs. environmental science vs. natural resource management).
 The specific degree program is of little interest - or inconsequential -- if
the student possesses skills 1 - 4 above.

Of course, this is my personal experience and I'm sure others might disagree
with my list.

Christopher Heckscher
Delaware State University