This is a very interesting question.
My answer is split into general features to help answer Malcolm's part and
specific examples to help address Aimee's question.

General features of a good course:
A  targeted multi-disciplinary course integrates learning from a variety of
disciplines through project work or fieldwork. It delivers the learning
outcomes and fosters independent thought and a skillset that can be applied
to a wide range of situations.

Specific course components:
I'm familiar with two different approaches to prepare students for a
biological work environment. One course sends students on appropriate
placements during the penultimate year.
Another course sets specific modules based on ecological consultancy-related
work, in which students work in communities and in small groups to deliver a
particular project. This might be a five year habitat management plan, a
local biodiversity action plan or a nature trail. It is a real-life
situation, and the students learn to apply their ecological theory, but also
take into account the needs and wishes of the community.

It has been so successful in the past that some students set up a company to
carry out community projects like this.

I hope that helps both Aimee and Malcolm.

Best wishes
Caitriona