The flaw in Evan's friend's argument against the fireworks hypothesis is that
there are no big summer (July 4th) concentrations of birds--such as the
multi-thousand assemblages of Red-winged Blackbirds, European Starlings, Common
Grackles, etc., that occur in winter.

I'm sticking with the alien flying saucer attack theory.  :-)

(Not really. I still like the fireworks idea.)

Cheers,

BILL

========

On Jan 6, 2011, at 10:41 AM, Evan Clark wrote:

> Dear ECOLOG-L Members,
>
> I have an ornithologist friend who works for the Dept. of the Environment in
> D.C., and in a recent correspondence I asked for his opinion on the mass
> bird kills in the news. Here is his reply for any who are interested.
>
> "The red-winged blackbird and other species kills were most likely
> microbursts and windshear associated with the storm system which had moved
> through earlier. Microbursts can have wind gusts between 60 and 120 miles an
> hour, that would create plenty of force to mimic hurricane conditions and do
> some real trauma. Is was not disease or some type of contamination. You can
> see a few birds staggering around with broken wings on the news videos. I
> believe the birds were either crushed in the air of forced downward with
> enough energy to kill them. I don’t buy the firework theory. If it were true
> we would have giant bird kill problems every July 4th."
>
> Cheers,
>
> Evan D. Clark

=========

RESEARCH PROGRAM
c/o BILL HILTON JR. Executive Director
office & cell (803) 684-5852
fax (803) 684-0255

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net):
Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at http://www.hiltonpond.org
"Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project" at http://www.rubythroat.org