From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU] on behalf of Robert Hamilton
[roberthamil...@alc.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2012 3:18 PM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Confronting climate deniers on college campuses - EOS
Forum

Actually this climate debate is more about hocus pocus than anything else. at
least a it is. That climate change is occurring is undeniable, and the oddity
would be no climate change occurring. The climate is going to change
regardless. The issue of why is where the hocus pocus comes in. There is no
evidence that changes in CO2 levels have caused any sort of atmospheric
warming; none. It is a predicted outcome of climate models designed to show
that CO2 can affect atmospheric temperatures. We know for a fact that
atmospheric warming would cause CO2 levels to increase because all the various
organisms would increase respiration rates. It is dubious to suggest that CO2
levels that we observe could have any influence on the greenhouse effect on
earth given the overwhelming effect of water vapour, and the flux of water
vapour, which in itself is substantially greater than the total effect of CO2,
let alone the difference in CO2 past and present.

Many of the things we do could cause climate change. The massive increase in
runoff of freshwater from terrestrial systems; various drainings and fillings
in of wetlands and floodplains, channeling if rivers along with rapid runoff
through sewers and other means. A lot less standing water in the spring to
ameliorate continental warming through the summer. Conversion of heat sinks
like say Manhattan Island (via urbanization) into heat sources, possibly
radiating more energy back than is input from the sun due to additional heat
from things like air conditioners and automobiles, and this sort of thing
occurs on a massive scale (like say Germany, which used to be a very moist
deciduous forest) in the northern hemisphere. But such issues are not allowed
to be investigated for the sake of the political hacks with their CO2 argument.
There is no science to this process, and amazingly the public in general sees
the weakness of the science.

The thing of it is that what goes around comes around, and the truth will out
in the end. If we are wrong about CO2 but right about human impacts the
political hacks will blame us for being unscientific even though it is they
that force us this way via the way they dispense power in the form of academic
appointments and funding. A bit like CFCs causing the ozone hole. They could
cause the ozone hole for sure, but do they actually cause it? Never seen any
evidence of that. Could be that flying jet aircraft is causing the ozone hole,
but political hacks don't want to go there! If it isn't CFCs, they will blame
us for sure, because we are supposed to know for sure in their eyes in such
situations. We are the scapegoat if they (we) are wrong).

I suppose I am a "denier" because I reject politically motivated science, and
that sort would shout me down, pull my hair and throw things at me if I were
ever to present such heretical arguments to the public. But I don't need to. As
the consequences of the CO2 based policies sink in, they will be revisited with
a more skeptical eye. We move forward, but do bumble along, and that seems to
work in general, although there are casualties along the way, and the way it
looks now is Ecology will be one of those casualties, which is the real crime
here IMHO.

Rob Hamilton