When I first entered my PhD program I remember asking a few of the biology and
geography faculty why they thought conservation biology and invasion biology
were important fields of study.  I was having trouble understanding why it was
important to make sure a given ecosystem/community continued to function in the
same way given what I knew about  natural selection, niche differentiation and
'evolution at short time scales' (I would call that ecology, but that's a
different debate!).  Going hand-in-hand with this, why do we need to manipulate
the 'natural' world to maintain biodiversity?  The line of reasoning I received
was generally, we don't know if a given ecosystem/community will continue to
function in the same way when species' start to be removed/added, there might
not be any 'fixing' that ecosystem after the fact by adding/subtracting
species, which is scary both for the ecosystem/community/species  in question
and for humans if that particular ecosystem/community/species provides us with
some 'service'.  Taken to an extreme, all ecosystems probably provide humans
with a 'service', so it makes sense for us to conserve them as a best practice,
with ecosystems/communities/species that we perceive as being more important to
humans (whether in a material sense or nostalgic sense) getting the most
attention.

Another line of reasoning offered to me was that we have a moral obligation to
preserve species.  This is a much more entangled issue, which I think Miles was
at least in part alluding too, that is rife with conflicting ideology.  If we
have a moral obligation to preserve species that are impacted by humans, we
should protect all species, big and small, and down to the smallest of levels.
Put away your hand sanitizer!  We shouldn't just be concerned with a loss of
biodiversity of birds in HI, but also the loss of biodiversity (and ecosystem
function) as a result of the introduction, for instance, of earth worms to
North America.  Granted, there are folks that care about the earth-worm issue,
but the birds in HI get a lot more press by virtue of being a heck of a lot
more charismatic, leading to disproportionate effort being put into their
conservation.  Is that a moral dilemma?  If we don't put equal effort into
conserving pandas and freshwater clams, are we hypocrites?  Which species are
worthy of being 'saved'?  Should we focus primarily on species that provide a
direct 'service' to humans?  Leaving the issue of preserving species aside for
a moment, is it morally right to interfere with a speciation event that may or
may not be about to occur, but that probably won't occur if the species is
being managed to conserve it?  At what point does a species need intervention
to 'save' it?  Are humans simply accelerating natural selection?  How do we
balance species preservation with human lives... at what point does preserving
rare Amazonian fish become more important than an isolated Amazonian Indian
village eating a fish dinner as their ancestors have for generations?   Lots of
food for thought here... and lots of room to debate varying view points!

Nate Ruhl PhD
Rowan University