It's a matter of temporal and spatial scale. It's one thing if species are
arriving via trans-oceanic dispersal on their own power every million years or
so, and quite another if they're arriving via jet every decade or so. Similar,
species range expansions are of much more limited concern if only small areas
are added to the range, perhaps over thousands of years, than if ocean and air
travel can get them to many different places at once.

So ... not all colonization events occur in what most of us regard ecological
time, and I say that as someone in the field who is regarded as seeing (via
calibrated molecular phylogenies) evidence for a relatively large amount of
long-distance dispersal. And, ecologically, there is all the difference in the
world between seeing a rock or two occasionally rolling downhill ... and
getting buried in an avalanche. In Hawaii, it's estimated that fewer than 300
long-distance dispersal events were successful over the last 5 million years in
establishing the native flora. By comparison, over the 300 years post-Cook,
more than 1000 additional plant species have become established there. Numbers
of species are probably important in terms of increasing the chance of a
pernicious weed appearing, free of the natural enemies that held it in check on
its long-established home range but which didn't disperse with it. Given enough
time, new natural enemies to such "unchained plants" will indeed evolve, but
that might take hundreds or thousands of years, and in the interim those
super-plants can wreak tremendous damage.

Tom Givnish

--
 Thomas J. Givnish
 Henry Allan Gleason Professor of Botany