GPAs are a less reliable indicator of potential for a variety of reasons. For one, there is a large amount of variation in in the quality of education and standards for assessment across institutions. It is also true that a student's GPA can be damaged due to issues that are external to academics. I agree that grade inflation appears to be trending up across the board, but it seems to be much worse at private institutions. See this web site for some data:
http://www.gradeinflation.com/

I personally have had very good experiences with students recruited from private and public institutions. I do not think the grade inflation problem is so prevalent that we should completely ignore GPAs - it just needs to be viewed in the context of everything else.

I have noticed in this thread that a number of people have complained that the GREs are focused on "tricky" questions and obscure information. I think this perspective is due to a lack of understanding of the goals of the exam. It is unfortunate that much of our undergraduate curricula do not prepare students very well for all aspects of graduate school. Yes, it is good to be able to memorize lots of information and to have a good memory for facts, but success in research requires critical thinking, creativity, and persistence. The GRE at least attempts to get at that the first two of these. The most important things we can say about the GREs is that we at least know the content and it is consistent no matter where a student is coming from.

As several others have already said, graduate admission decisions are really about the whole package and no single item should be used as a litmus test. It is good to have soft minimums, but these need to be viewed in the context of all the available information.

Students should not obsess over their GRE scores - you just need a good score, not the best score. I tell my students that the single best thing they can do to get into a good graduate program is to participate in undergraduate independent research. This will not only get them good letters but it will give them a taste of the challenges they will experience in grad school. This is the one criterion that often weighs most heavily in admission decisions made by many PIs and admission committees.
Mitch Cruzan