Hi Aaron,

I think that Joe Desisto  made some excellent points.  I would also caution you
that some of the lack of response may come from your delivery.  It is very
difficult via email to convey tone, but yours is a little bit off-putting.  I
don’t think you intend that, but it is.

As an example…I am not in your target group (I don’t deal with invertebrates),
have three young children at home, and a full-time job with both a teaching and
administrative component (and a lot of outreach!).  However, I did open one of
your initial messages from maybe early November.  It sounded like a great
opportunity even though I quickly realized that it was not a good match for me.
 I noticed though that VERY quickly (over a weekend I recall and perhaps in
less than a week) you had replied with a complaint that you didn’t get a single
respondent!  This did not endear me.

Keep in mind, many of us have minimal budgets and may have travel costs that
have to come out-of-pocket.  I try to limit my outreach to in-state (but
definitely more than 1 mile!) and almost inevitably eat some of the costs.
Much of the outreach I do results from people personally calling me and
appealing to the fact that they think I would be a good match for them.  That
personal touch and the “thanks for your time even if you can’t do it” approach
goes a long way.

Good luck – it does seem you are doing some good work.

Best,

Keely

Keely Tolley Roen

Assistant Teaching Professor of Wildlife Technology

Wildlife Technology Program Coordinator & College of Agriculture Representative

Penn State DuBois

814-372-3003

 <mailto:kat...@psu.edu> kat...@psu.edu