Joe's point is key, Mongabay wrote about this in August and then the
Guardian republished it in full despite its length:

*A rich person’s profession? Young conservationists struggle to make it*

   - *Mongabay interviewed young conservationists about their experiences
   launching their careers.*
   - *Many of them related similar stories of having to reconsider their
   career choice as a result of the conservation sector’s tight job market,
   high educational and experience requirements, and often-temporary
   entry-level jobs.*
   - *To meet prospective employers’ demands for experience, many graduates
   become stuck in full-time unpaid internships or long-term volunteering.*
   - *As a result of these trends, the field of conservation may be
   hemorrhaging passionate, qualified, and innovative young people.*

Full feature here:

https://news.mongabay.com/2017/08/a-rich-persons-profession-young-conservationists-struggle-to-make-it/

The 82 comments skew this way:

*"As a twenty-something with a Cambridge masters in Conservation, the
unpaid internships, the rejections... this was such a needed article. Helps
me understand that I'm not alone, and it's not my fault that I couldn't
land a conservation job. Thank you!"*

Erik

--

See my latest writing and photojournalism projects here
<http://www.erikhoffner.com/>

*tw: @erikhoffner <https://twitter.com/ErikHoffner>*

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 4:15 PM, Robert Ripple <robert.a.rip...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Joe Desisto,
>
> Amen. I personally know several recent MS grads who have left the field or
> are waiting tables. They’ve never been able to get more than temp jobs in
> the field despite sound backgrounds from good schools. I think university
> departments and the profession need to think about the consequences of
> churning out so many grads for a limited number of paid positions. This
> shouldn’t be a field for the independently wealthy. And it’s hard to commit
> to a PhD program when the prospects for an MS are rough.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bob Ripple
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Dec 4, 2017, at 1:12 PM, Joseph Desisto <joseph.desi...@uconn.edu>
> wrote:
>
> I think I am in your target audience -- recent graduate with experience in
> entomology and outreach, still with a fair amount of time on my hands. I
> did not open your original request because it seems like the majority of
> postings on this listserv are people asking me to do unpaid work, and I
> stopped opening those the second I graduated and had to look for an actual
> job.
>
> Young ecologists are generally too busy looking for paid work to be very
> interested in volunteer opportunities, especially in the current job
> market. I know many skilled, experienced young environmental scientists and
> biologists who have left the field because they couldn't find someone who
> would actually pay them for their time. I may be joining them soon. How can
> I justify traveling to do unpaid work for someone I don't know, who won't
> offer me a paid position anytime soon? I understand you don't have funding,
> but I don't have funding either.
>
> When I do volunteer work, which is infrequent, I help with projects such
> as bioblitzes in my local area run by people I know personally, like former
> professors and classmates, or others who specifically ask me because they
> know and value my skill set. I read their emails, regardless of length,
> because their emails say "Dear Joe" right at the top. I also volunteer for
> causes that are outside my profession, like political advocacy. So my
> advice would be, find individual people in your region whose skills you
> value. Reach out to them personally, and explain how the project is a) for
> a good cause, and b) beneficial to them, the people whose time you are
> requesting.
>
> Don't expect people to come to you, and don't treat volunteering as a
> privilege where the benefits are obvious -- that's presumptuous and
> insulting. Maybe offer to introduce them to other scientists who are
> influential and/or hiring? Letting them participate in the event for free
> is a good idea, but networking is about more than just being in a room full
> of other professionals. I'm sure there are also amateur entomologists in
> your area who would be happy to help, maybe at the local Entomological
> [...]
  • ... Aaron T. Dossey
    • ... Adam Eichenwald
      • ... Brian Turner
        • ... Nicole Holstein
          • ... Aaron T. Dossey
            • ... Joseph Desisto
              • ... Aaron T. Dossey
                • ... Aaron T. Dossey
              • ... Robert Ripple
                • ... Aaron T. Dossey
                • ... Erik Hoffner
                • ... Sabah Ul-Hasan
              • ... Keely Roen
        • ... Aaron T. Dossey
    • ... John A.
    • ... Matthew Von Hendy Call Send SMS Add to Skype You'll need Skype Credit Free via Skype